One of the most important things in mountaineering is the weather, so ladies and gentlemen, I present you Gasherbrum2 web app (not very inspired name, but it is what it is).
From a business perspective the app provides two main features:
- fetches weather forecast from https://www.mountain-forecast.com/, crafts a special TEXT format that is sent to satellite phone on daily basis
- receives SMS messages from satellite phone and post it to Gasherbrum2 page on Facebook
Unfortunately, feature #2 was not used because of some messed up access tokens in production environment that I did not have time to fix but the feature itself is 99% implemented and ready to use if ever needed
From a technical perspective there are 5 pieces that work together:
- weather providers - where we define and configure the supported weather providers (e.g. Mountain Forecast)
- forecast engine - background job that fetches (configurable intervals, default daily) the forecast in different formats (HTML, JSON, etc), parse it and save raw data into database
- notification engine - another background job that takes the forecast data above, transform it, and sends an email notification that gets translated into SMS to satellite phone
- messaging service - I use https://www.twilio.com/ to send and receive text messages
- messages engine - receives a SMS from satellite phone (or any phone) and post it to Facebook Page.